Friday, April 4, 2014

3x9 to 1x10: Converting A Mountain Bike Drivetrain



When SRAM’s XX1 was announced I was immediately sold on the idea of a 1x11 drivetrain. Simplicity, weight savings, more ground clearance and no chain drops were some of the many advantages and all that with almost no loss of gear range. The only real problem was the cost and compatibility. I would need a new rear wheel to make the conversion possible.


Enter the Race Face Narrow/Wide chainring (or Wolftooth Components, e*thirteen, Hope, etc). These chainrings mean that with the combination of a 10 speed SRAM Type 2/Shimano Shadow Plus derailleur, you can have an XX1 type system for a lot less.


For my conversion I started with the stock drivetrain on my 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert: 3 (42,32,24t) x 9 (11-34t).


Because I didn't have a 10 speed drivetrain to start with I had to change over all my parts. Before I could do that I had a couple of choices to make:


1) What size chainring should I pair with an 11-36 cassette?
Chainring size totally depends on the kind of terrain you’ll be riding. In my area trails are relatively flat with no long extended climbs. Because of that I ride in my 32t middle ring 99% of the time with an 11-34 cassette. With the upgrade to an 11-36 cassette, I gain an extra climbing gear so I opted for a 34 tooth chainring because that would give me almost the same lowest gear.


To get pointlessly technical, you can measure chainring and cassette combinations in Gear Inches (Inches travelled per pedal stroke). I used the caculator on http://www.machars.net/1-bikecalc.htm



SetupChainring SizeCassette Cog SizeGear Inches (Inches travelled per pedal stroke)
Lowest Gear
1x1034t36t24.56
3x932t34t24.47
Highest Gear
1x1034t11t80.36
3x942t11t99.27

2) What length derailleur cage do I need for a 1 x 10 setup?
With a 1x10 drivetrain you definitely won't need a long cage derailleur, but depending on the chainstay growth (which is 0 if you have a hardtail) of your bike you might need a medium cage or if you're lucky a short cage.
 
My (rough) chainstay growth measurements were: 
  • suspension uncompressed: 383mm
  • suspension compressed: 398mm
So my chainstay growth was only 15mm which should be well within the capabilities of a X9 Type 2 short cage derailleur for a 1x drivetrain.

Pinkbike has some good info on which derailleur cage to choose here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Chain-Length-Basics-2012.html

With those questions answered it was time to put everything together. These are the parts I chose:


Chainring Bolts: Sugino Steel Single Chainring Bolts




Assembly was pretty straight forward. I found the correct chain length by deflating the rear shock and compressing the suspension fully before installing the chain on the biggest gear of the cassette. This mimics the point where your chainstays would be the longest and thus eliminating the possibility of having a chain that's too short.




In the end I lost a front derailleur and shifter, a few chainrings and bolts and about 568g (1.25lbs). I'm looking forward to testing my new simple and silent drivetrain as the trails dry out from this abnormally long and wet winter.



Here are a couple of other links that I found helpful:

MTBR put out a great video on converting your bike to 1 x 10 if you already have an existing 2 x 10 setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiUoMSQfRI

Bike Radar: Trail Tech: How to convert to a 1x drivetrain:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-how-to-convert-to-a-1x-drivetrain-37451/

Mountain Bike FAQ: Converting 2×10 to 1×10
http://mountainbikefaq.com/2014/01/converting-2x10-1x10

27 comments:

  1. Great info! I have the exact same bike and have been thinking about making the switch to 1x10/11. How do you like your set up? Anything you would do differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did this setup work for you? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my 3x9 '12 Camber Comp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CamBercomp SD, As I said to Malloy below, this setup has been rock solid. If you want a smooth and quiet drivetrain then this is the way to go.

      Delete
  3. Not sure how this work for him. I converted to an X1 set up and I love it. It has all the right gears for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malloy, Thanks for your question, I had no idea anyone had read this! Glad you went the X1 route, it's definitely the way to go.

      My setup has been rock solid all of last season and through the winter. I haven't had a single chain drop even riding some rough downhill courses in Southern Ontario.

      The only change I may make along the way is adding something like the Wolftooth 42T GC: http://bit.ly/1B5YNq6 . This would just give that extra climbing gear that is sometimes necessary.

      Looking forward to the coming year of riding!

      Delete
    2. Just an extra note about changing to a Wolftooth 42T GC - I would need to swap out my derailleur for a medium cage.

      Delete
  4. What was the total cost of the conversion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erik, did you use the same original hub/wheel set that came with the bike or did you replace with something new. I was wondering about clearance (hub and frame) when going with the 10 speed cassette. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi alqwad, yes, I used the same hub/wheelset that came with the bike. The rear hub had a 9 speed shimano cassette mounted on it originally but the new 10 speed cassette fit no problem. The spacing between the cogs is closer on the 10 speed cassette making it fit where a 9 speed would go.

      -Erik

      Delete
  7. Awesome!! Thanks. My setup will be:

    Sunrace 11-40 (10sp) cassette
    SRAM GX (10sp) shifter
    SRAM GX (10sp) 2.1 derailleur (w/clutch)
    SRAM 1051 (10sp) chain
    Race Face narrow wide chainring

    I'm going to give the Sunrace a try. Got the all steel version. Contemplated 11-42 but settled on 40t after looking long and hard at gearing. It's for my teenage son. He rides small ring sometimes on 3x9 but never down to 11t on cog. The 30 should cover the front but I can go 32 or more if needed. Also, the I can swap the rear to 42 if needed. It'll take a bit of experimenting to get it dialed. Thanks for the reply and the inspiration. We have the exact same bike, color and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The transformation begins this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! Take a photo so I can see the setup once it's finished.

      Good luck this weekend!

      Delete
    2. Got it all done. Don't know how to post pics here though. If like to add them if able.

      Delete
    3. Everything worked out perfectly. No issues at all. The Sunrace setup is good. 30x11-42. Chainline looks pretty good. Decent angle when on largest cog but didn't have any issues. Could shim chainring in if needed. Removed a few links of chain as required. Did the "big to big plus 4" (without going thru derailleur) and it got me close. Overall super happy.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made a video overview of the conversion with a few bits and pics included. About 2 mins long... ENJOY!!

    https://youtu.be/5LwMZ0fIGqo

    ReplyDelete
  11. how's the climbing on these setups? as i was fixing my broken chain on the trail last week anothe rider stopped to chat. said... time to go 1x... he had switched his ride. Said it climbed great and beat me up the trail easily while I was in my granny gear on my 3x9 setup. I dont think of myself as a bad climber but I do use my granny gear alot. very good post by the way, really laid out the details well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you're asking me, my son likes it. Also, it just looks "right" when he's on it. Our biggest issue was the huge chain/chainrings on the 3x9. Dropped chains, complexity of choosing the right gear, etc. With this set up but certainly simplified things. Obviously how you set up the gearing will make a big difference, but the general consensus is when you're going to a one by system you really don't lose much on the climbing years you lose more on the top end gears. We lost 17 gears total, but my ratio spread only omitted coverage of one climbing gear and four top end gears. I opted for a smaller front ring to make sure we covered it all and I'll also be able to go up to a 32 in front of he ever needs it. We ride southern New Mexico from 6-9000 feet (mixed trails w/climbs) and he has no issues. We love it. Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really appreciate the feedback. i do use my 22t upfront 34t rear alot on climbing. not always but enough to wonder if losing that 22t would be worth it and I don't want to go 2x. Maybe the weight loss would make up the different. I can see the be advantage for your son though. it does simplify the riding and help concentrate on the trail. i'm still on the fence about it, but i have to decide as i need to get a new cassette and chain anyway.

      Delete
  13. Just to be clear, I went with a 1x10 setup with a 11-40 in the rear. The addition of the larger cog(s) on the rear cassette is the difference maker. Take a look at some gear charts to see what you need. IMO, the additional larger cogs make the small ring up front (22) unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome gear charts/calculators:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. just wanted to post back a follow up. i just got my setup done. went with an XT 1x10 setup 1-36, 30t up front. haven't gotten it on a trail yet but feels great around the block. Thanks alqwad for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! murtisol mountain bike

    ReplyDelete